Thursday, February 21, 2013

Crocheting Squirrels

  Since I don't have nearly enough hobbies, I thought I’d take up another one. Sweet Pea and I have decided that crocheting sounds like fun. And not necessarily because you cause can make useful things like mittens, slippers, sweaters, afghans and tea cozies, but because you can make completely useless things like cat sweaters, nose warmers, squirrels, turtles, cupcakes and so much more!

So, I set my sights on teaching myself. I got some books from the library and after staring at the pictures and reading and re-reading the instructions for about 20 minutes with yarn wrapped up around my fingers, my thumbs, my crochet hook and eventually my neck, shoulders, torso and legs, I gave up and signed us up for a class.

I may not be a genius, but let me tell you, after failing to make it past the very first step in the book - the step where you make the knot prior to doing any actual crocheting, I wasn't feeling real confident about my ability to work magic with the hook and the yarn.

So, early on a Saturday morning we set out for our class. And while I'd love to say the class was super helpful, that I loved it, and that I'm now a crochet expert, I can't quite do so. You see, the instructor never bothered to show up.

Sigh.

So, after getting my refund I got online and watched a few youtube videos. Literally within minutes I had a chain going and my first few rows of single crochet stitches. I felt much better.

I have a long way to go before those squirrels start magically forming out of hook and yarn (I mean, who doesn't want to make a crochet squirrel?) but I'm well on my way now.

I just know that my dear sweet grandmother is looking down on me from the ever-after, shaking her head in disgust and thinking about all of the doilies I tossed a year ago. But I stand fast - I have no regrets! And I have no intention of ever ever ever making a doily!

It's time to crochet a ginormous duck!

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment