This particular picture is a batch I made without ham. I didn't have any on hand, so I made it without and just added a little salt to make up for it. It was also delicious, but I like it best with a little ham.
Give it a try!
Chunky Potato Soup
3-4 medium potatoes
2 cups of water
1 small onion
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed cooked ham
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid (adding water if necessary) and set aside.
- Peel and chop onion. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until onion is translucent and tender but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan. Season with pepper to taste. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan. Stir well.
- Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Eat and enjoy!!