Friday, January 22, 2010

A Quarter Inch of Sugar Helps the Muffins Go Down


Friday's are muffin day. Sweet Pea decided one Friday that she wanted to have blueberry muffins for breakfast. I had a boxed mix in the cupboard just waiting so I mixed it up and we had a tasty breakfast. One Friday turned into two turned into three and now every Friday is muffin day.

And you know how they often sprinkle muffin tops with that course sugar? We like that. So for muffin day, we always pull out the colored sugar sprinkles. We make them tasty AND pretty!



We (me and the kids) have been known to waste large amounts of time decorating these with different patterns of colored sugars. (The above picture is from a pretty tame batch). Hubby thinks we're crazy and is just as happy with plain tops. But I guess I can't blame him. Sometimes we do go overboard a little with the sugar, especially if Doodlebug is helping so I guess I can understand him not wanting to crunch through a quarter inch of sugar.



But now I'm running out of the colored sugar sprinkles I had on hand and was looking around for somewhere I could buy these more cheaply. They cost a fortune at the grocery store! And oh, but Google is a wonderful thing! Apparently it's really really easy to make your own colored sugar. Just take some sugar, add a few drops of food coloring (liquid will work fine, as will powdered) and shake it until it's all mixed up. Now I'm incredibly excited about making my own colored sugar, every color I can manage to make from my handful of liquid food colors. So, for today, I'll use what I have, but next week watch out! Homemade sprinkles here I come!


Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment