Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Our Pal Fred

This is Fred.
 


Sorry to shock you like that, but I wanted to share. I only posted one of the two pictures though. You're welcome.

Fred lives in the basement. And I suppose in the grand scheme of things - in a world full of scary, dangerous, deadly things, Fred is small potatoes. But when it comes to critters living in my house, he's still larger than I like. Way smaller than a mouse, sure, but no where near as cute.

Sweet Pea thinks I'm out of my mind because I've named him. She just wants him gone. But he's lived behind the freezer for at least a year now, if not longer. He doesn't move around. He doesn't creep up behind me. He's never bitten me. I think he's probably eaten other yucky things that have crossed his path. All in all, he's not so bad. He didn't even twitch or complain in the least when I took his picture (I drew the line at taking a selfie of us).

And what alternatives do I have really? I have three options -
1. Leave him be
2. Squish him
3. Move him

Moving him would require catching him and touching him. Nuh-uh!

Squishing him would involve those awful bug-crunching noises and spider screams. [shudder] And possibly chasing him down which may involve biting and spider-revenge if he gets away.

So leaving him be is really the best option. If he was wandering around the basement and surprising me by walking across the counter or my toothbrush or something, that would be different. But since he's not I say live and let live.

I'm  not sure I should have taken his picture though. He looks much more menacing in these pictures - I can see his eyes and every joint in his many legs and his shiny pelt :)  [shudder again]

Quack!

1 comment:

  1. this may be old fashioned thinking but...isn't that what husbands are for?

    ReplyDelete