Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crazy, Body-Twisting, Limbs-in-the-Air, Jumping Kind of Push-Ups

Holy cow! I forgot what a real workout is like. I was into karate many years ago. But then I stopped for about 13 years (to get married and have babies and do family stuff). I continued to work out on my own on and off, mostly using exercise videos and working out with my own punching bag.

And now that I'm back into karate it's all coming back. The grueling, long, muscle-trembling, sucking in breath, holy-crap-is-this-ever-going-to-end moments. The endless repetitions of sit-ups/leg lifts/ab work. The endless sets of push-ups of all varieties from regular ol' push-ups right through crazy, body-twisting, limbs-in-the-air, jumping kind of push-ups. The endless sets of punch, jab, punch, jab, punch, jab. The lunges and squats of all varieties, the bag punching, bag kicking, bag holding, can-I-catch-my-breath-now moments.

You never push your self that hard when it's just you. You just don't. It's too easy to get lazy. Even when you don't think you do, you do. I would and did work out until I felt all muscle-trembly. Until my muscles were sore and I felt like I did a good workout. I knew I was not doing enough cardio, but I worked on the strength and flexibility stuff.

But not like this. I had forgotten it. The rivulets of sweat dripping down my temples. The soggy t-shirt and gi top. The oh-my-god-is-that-me hair - wild and crazy and sweaty, the red face and reddened knuckles from bag-punching.

Oh yes. It's all coming back now.

It's so good to be back! 

And since I don't have a picture of sweat, or crazy hair, or reddened knuckles, I'll leave you with this. Because sometimes this is how I feel when I'm done.

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment