Wednesday, February 9, 2011

That Otis Guy

Have you ever heard the song "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes? It's very catchy. I like it. Every time I hear it I start bopping to the music. But I suppose it's one of those things that upon first hearing it I probably said, "Holy crap! What the heck is this? It's terrible!" But over time, it's grown on me and now I really like it. I actually spent $0.69 to download the mp3 to my iPod. And as I was doing so, Sweet Pea was in the room. She said, "Mom! What are you listening to? That's terrible!"

And now, whenever she gets the chance, she mentions "that terrible song that Mommy likes by that Otis guy."
"That Otis guy?" Yes, that same day I was listening to "That's how strong my love is" by Otis Redding on youtube and she thought it was terrible. So all this 'terrible music' is now joined in her mind as 'that Otis guy'.
And, in regards to said 'Otis guy' I decided against purchasing any Otis Redding music. While I like it, it's a little too, oh, I don't know, old fashioned maybe? Too twangy? I don't know. Something about it I just don't like enough to purchase. But, I did discover that one of my many favorite bands, Seven Mary Three, did a cover of "That's How Strong My Love Is" on their Backbooth album - an awesome live acoustic album. So I got that and downloaded it to my iPod. I love it! The lead singer has a great voice and I really like the music.
I'm sure Sweet Pea would not agree. What I listen too is by no stretch of the imagination 'boy band music' or 'pop' which is what Sweet Pea enjoys. Too each their own, right?

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment