Monday, August 27, 2012

An Irrational Fear of Caffeine Addiction and Coffee Mate

I usually drink decaf coffee. I have this irrational fear of getting addicted to caffeine and getting headaches on those days when I don't drink it. I hate headaches. And I have a secret belief that caffeine is a powerful drug with incredible magic powers that should be used sparingly. I'm just like that.

But I do occasionally have caffeinated coffee. Sometime just to amuse the kids - they like me best when I'm full of energy and bouncing around the house like Tigger.(I can be downright bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy, fun fun fun fun fun, the most wonderful thing about caffeine is . . .  well, you get the point.) And sometimes I just like the extra kick if I'm sleepy.

So, the other day at work I went out to run an errand in the morning while my computer was being worked on. While I was out I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts and got myself a medium full-caff coffee. It was delicious and I was full of energy all day. I was SO productive!

But then later in the day, about 3 in the afternoon, I saw my little bottle of half and half. I bring my own half and half everyday for my daily decaf because I'm afraid of the Coffee Mate. I know - so many fears in this one little mind - but it's made out of chemicals and strange mysterious substances that fill me with unexplainable dread. So I avoid it.

But I digress - I saw my half and half and thought, "Hey, I could get some more coffee. I don't want to waste that tablespoon of half and half!".

So I did. I went up to the break room. They were out of decaf, so against my better judgement I had my second 12 oz cup of fully loaded coffee for the day.

Shortly after that it was time to depart for the day. On the ride home I was energetic and singing along with the radio. But then, 5 minutes from home I hit some construction. I was at a dead stop in a line of cars on a road that was down to one lane, for a full 10 minutes. (Especially frustrating when I could almost see my house.) Now, 10 minutes doesn't sound like much, but my coffee - all 24oz - kicked in about 1 minute into the wait. If you've never seen me fully caffeinated, you don't want to witness it in a closed space like a car. In the kitchen it's all bouncing, jumping, flipping, raucous laughter, obnoxious comments and fast breathing. In a car, where I am driving, where I need to keep my foot on the brake and my hands on the wheel it's like confining a cat in a bag, like shaking a box full of rubber balls, like trapping a frightened grasshopper in a bug box. In other words, it's a lot of bouncing, rebounding and ricocheting. Lots of hand tapping on the wheel, bouncing legs, seat dancing. The guy behind me must have thought I was nuts!

But finally I was able to start moving and got home pretty quickly. Once home I got out a saw, some sandpaper, a hammer, some brushes and paint and got the most done in 15 minutes that I've ever gotten done in such a short amount of time. Then it was off to karate for some sparring. And when I got home I baked a few cakes and mixed up some Friday muffins. (You think I'm kidding, don't you? Well, you'd be wrong.)

By the end of the evening I'd finally exhausted my supply of caffeine and slept like a baby until morning. (and by 'slept like a baby' I mean I was up several times during the night - not out of hunger, but just for the usual kid-crises that always occur in the darkest hour of the night.)


No comments:

Post a Comment