Friday, November 26, 2010

Telling the Future with Caterpillars

Woolly bear caterpillars can predict how long and cold the winter will be. The larger the black bands, the worse the weather. Well, Sweet Pea found three of the little guys this year. The two from the zoo indicate that the winter will be very mild. But the one from Onondaga Lake Parkway says it will be a long cold one. I'm going for the majority rule on this one and expect a mild winter. Either that or the zoo will see remarkably mild winter weather, but the snow coming off the lake will bury the parkway in cold wintery snowiness. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.




Caterpillar small -
Fuzzy portent of winter's length
Mild winter ahead

(Yes, I know. I have an extra syllable in the middle line. I decided to give up preciseness for a little creativity. I just like it this way, OK?)


Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment