Monday, July 22, 2013

Click! There He Goes!

There was a funny little bug trapped in the sink the other day. He was a tiny brown oblong beetle who apparently couldn't fly. He also wasn't able to get himself up the sides of the sink. He'd get halfway up, then slide back down. He circled the sink, exploring every inch of it, but everytime he got about 4 inches up the side, down he'd go again. But the best part was when he climbed halfway up, rolled down and landed on his back.

Now, I'm not saying that just because I'm cruel and like to watch bugs suffer. Not at all. I don't like to watch bugs suffer. Even the icky ones. I say that because it was very entertaining. Let me tell you why:

He didn't just wiggle, arch his back and flop over like some bugs. He also didn't just lay there and give up. So what did he do? He make a nice little click and popped up into the air about 6 inches. I saw him do it several times. It was very endearing.

And after a bit of research I discovered he was a click beetle. He can fly, but is apparently too lazy to do so, so instead he circles the sink for hours and days on end. And when he finds himself stranded on his back - CLICK! - there he goes! So cute!

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment