Monday, April 26, 2010

Calvin & Hobbes Cookies - I Didn't Forget!

Finally, as promised I've made some more Calvin and Hobbes cookies. Unfortunately, not an entire scene, just a few cookies. You see, with spring having sprung I'm having trouble coming up with time to work on them. There's gardening to be done, outdoors play to be done, fresh air to enjoy, not to mention the usual slew of 'stuff'. I just can't seem to get motivated by baking right now. Not with all the chirping going on outside, and all the sprouting and the warm breezes beckoning and the whir of bike tires and the lure of the picnic basket. It's been fun, and I'm not calling it quits altogether, just taking a break.


So, for your enjoyment here is Spaceman Spiff, ready to explore and ready to encounter some aliens:




And here's Miss Wormwood, hauling Calvin off to the principal after some mischief or other:


And finally, Calvin and Hobbes off to explore the jungle together:



The quality on these isn't quite what I'd like but I kept looking out the window, distracted by the warmth and the growing things and couldn't quite get my mind around them. It was fun to finally get to work with some more colors, but boy! Let me tell you! These cookies are 100 times more difficult than the snowmen! A lot more free-hand piping went into these and there were several botched cookies as I tried to get a few of them at least, to come out half-way presentable!

Once the weather changes back to cold, snowy, sleety, slushy, frozen-ness and I'm looking for some indoor work to keep me busy I'll pick it up again. I still have several I'd like to see cookie-fied and this is a fun project. I'll pick up my Calvin & Hobbes books occasionally through the spring and summer to find some that will cookify easily for when I'm ready to get back into it.

On a related note, a couple of months back I was contacted by Joel Schroeder, the Director of a film in the works called Dear Mr. Watterson. It's a film about the impact of Bill Watterson and his comic told from the perspective of fans and readers. So this weekend the hubster shot some footage of me talking about the cookies and about Calvin and Hobbes. That was quite an experience! I am most assuredly not the type of person who is comfortable in front of a camera. But, after much giggling, some stuttering and a lot of 'what should I say now?' we got something put together and it's on it's way back. I wonder if any of it will make it into the film? I guess I just have to wait and see. In the meantime, check out the project here.

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment