Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What a Slacker!

What a slacker! No new posts in a whole week?!?! What's up with that?!? Eh, been busy again. Busy with what, you ask? Well, I promised Sweet Pea I would paint her room for her. A couple of years ago. Yes, years. We needed the time for planning. So, last weekend we started by emptying her room of most of her stuff. (Everything but the bed, a dresser, nightstand and some of her crafty stuff). What else is there, you ask? Oh plenty! She has a huge book shelf with 'stuff' on it - everything from ponies to knick knacks to scrapbooks to silk flowers to craft supplies. All stuffed onto the shelves. She has a smaller book shelf with books, a plastic set of drawers, a little plastic table and chair for doing artsy stuff and a laundry basket. And somehow it was all squeezed into her room. As you can imagine, there was no room for moving around in there. It took quite a bit of time to get it all out and cleaned up.


I should have taken some 'before' pictures, but trust me, you really don't want to see it in the shape it's in now. And I've been too lazy busy for picture taking anyway.
Then this weekend we had to vaccuum up all the dust bunnies that had been hiding behind the furniture. You should have seen them scurrying off and trying to escape the vaccuum, but I got them in the end! Then I had to haul the remaining furniture toward the center of the room. Then we covered everything in sheets, masked off the parts we didn't want painted and got to work. And by 'got to work' I mean I sweated and slaved and hauled and painted and rolled and gasped and heaved while Sweet Pea complained endlessly about how boring painting is. Hmmm. Maybe if she was actually painting it wouldn't be so boring. I think what she meant was that watching someone paint was boring.

None of her friends were available and all of her 'stuff' was out of its usual spot so she couldn't find it. The only choice she had was to mope around and complain about how bored she was while I sweat.

But at least she broke it up here and there by antagonizing her brothers and instigating some very energetic arguments. So then I got to sweat, slave, haul, paint, roll, gasp, heave AND yell. It made it go so much faster.

But at least I'm done with the worst of it. I hate the cleaning and masking and preparing part. Now that really is boring. The painting is OK. Not real fun, but at least the room isn't huge. But finally that part is done. Now, only the fun part remains - transforming it.

The next step is to paint clouds on the ceiling, transform the closet door into a waterfall, paint trees in each corner, grasses and bushes around the floor and intersperse is all with bunnies, porcupines, chipmunks, squirrels, owls, red-winged blackbirds, hummingbirds, wood peckers, butterflies, ladybugs, bumble bees, geese, deer, bears and maybe a few well placed woodchucks. Should be a piece of cake. I'll post pictures.

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment