Friday, February 3, 2012

I Will Not Be Beaten By Custard!

  The other day I had a craving for baked custard. What?!? What a strange craving! I know, right? I agree completely. Very strange. I don't know if I've ever even had baked custard before (if I have, it was many many many years ago). But for some reason it sounded yummy.

So, I printed out a recipe and got to work. And Wow! Let me tell you - it was a resounding . . .


failure!

That's right! A failure. I mean, it looked OK and I liked the flavor - slightly vanilla-y with some nutmeg and cinnamon on top, but the texture was weird - it was kinda lumpy, when I expected smooth. The hubby and Sweet Pea hated it. They thought it was too eggy - like eating cold scrambled eggs with cinnamon.

So I poked around some more and discovered the importance of cooking it very slowly. Now, I followed the instructions to the T (which is unusual for me) so I think it was partly a bad recipe. I know I know - blame it on the recipe, right? But really - I followed it to the T and it was definitely not right.

I also found some other custard recipes online and the majority of them are made with just egg yolks and not whole eggs. That may have made a difference too. And while I'd like to just drop the whole thing, call it a day and move onto other yummy things I find myself curiously challenged. I can't be beat by a mere custard! No way! So, I'm going to try again, knowing full well that I'll be the only one eating the result, no matter how good or bad it comes out. But that's OK by me. I'll experiment. This time I'll follow the recipes with just the yolks and will bake it at a lower temperature and maybe for a slightly shorter amount of time. I've done my research! I know what to do! I'm going to try it again. I WILL NOT BE BEATEN BY CUSTARD!


 Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment