Monday, January 24, 2011

The Anticipation Makes it Worth the Wait. Or Does it?

 So I got these awesome little cookie cutters for Christmas! They are ABC cookie cutters - the ABC being 'Already Been Chewed'. The cutters have bite marks in them. Gingerbread men with bite marks. Cool!


So, for a couple of weeks I talked about making the cookies, but wanted to wait until some of the over-abundance of Christmas treats were gone. I finally decided it was time. The kids didn't want to help make them, but they were very very anxious for me to be done with it so they could enjoy the fruits of my labor, especially Doodlebug. It went like this:

Doodlebug: Are they done yet Mommy?
Me: No, I haven't even finished the dough yet.
Doodlebug: Oh.

Doodlebug: Did you make the cookies yet Mommy?
Me: I have to chill the dough overnight.
Doodlebug: (mouth drops open) What?!?! Overnight?!?!?
Me: Well, a couple of hours, but since it's 8:00 I'm not going to make them until tomorrow.

The next day as I pulled the dough out of the fridge and began to roll it out:
Doodlebug: Are they almost done? Huh? Huh? Are they almost done?
Me: I'm working on it. They'll be done soon.

I put them in the oven to cook.
Doodlebug: Are they done yet?
Me: Not quite yet. Another couple minutes.

I checked them in a few minutes and they weren't quite done.
Doodlebug: Are they done yet?
Me: Not yet. Another minute.

And it went like that for about 5 minutes. I didn't want to over cook them, and being brown I couldn't quite tell if they were done or not. So I checked them frequently and every time I checked them he asked if they were done. And finally they were done. I took them out of the oven and removed them from the cookie sheets and set them out to cool.

Doodlebug: Can I have one? Can I have one?
Me: Well, they're still hot. But you can have one.
Doodlebug: Ow ow ow! Hot hot hot!! I can't eat them yet!!
Me: OK. Wait a few minutes.


A few minutes later he picked a choice cookie, studied it, opened his mouth and took a nice big bite. He chewed. He thought about it a bit. He grimaced. He spit it out. "Oh my god! That's awful!!"

Then he stomped out of the room mumbling under his breath "I waited all that time for something terrible!"

I think the anticipation made it worth the wait, don't you?


Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment