Monday, January 17, 2011

A Wintery Treat

 I've written previously about homemade hot chocolate. I'm a big fan. Besides that recipe, I have some others. I've posted one below for a slow cooker hot chocolate that is super awesome. Of course, this particular recipe is very high in fat and calories, but hey, you have to splurge once in a while, right? And if you just can't, then you can always alter the recipe. Replace the whole or 2% milk with skim. Replace the cream with no fat half and half or 2% milk or replace a portion of it. It will still be yummy!

Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa

3 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping/heavy cream
1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped

Combine 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl and beat until smooth. Pour it into a 3 quart slow cooker. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk and vanilla. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Add the cream and chopped chocolate and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until hot and chocolate is melted.

Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream or marshmallows. Makes 6 servings.
And since I don't have a picture of hot chocolate like I planned, you'll have to settle for a hot chocolatey haiku:

Hot chocolate for me
No other hot drink will do
A wintery treat


Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment