Monday, May 9, 2011

Cursing and Swearing and Having a Grand Ol' Time!

  So, I'm designing a web site. It's been a little over a year since I did one. I used to do that at my previous job - design web applications for the company using Lotus Notes and then later using Java on a JBoss server. I absolutely loved it! Granted I was developing corporate web applications, and not complete web sites, but much of it was the same - finding graphics, picking colors, designing layouts, setting up security, fighting over css issues due to browser differences, front-end coding and back-end coding, cursing and swearing and having a grand ol' time!

I started out my college career as a graphics arts major and sometimes I wish I never switched to business. I love the creativity involved with designing for the web - the messing with the layouts, the colors, the links and the relatively simple, but sometimes utterly frustrating code involved. It feels great to be doing this again after a year off. I've been working on it in my spare time (of which I have very little) over the last month. I've managed to get my PC set up with Java, Eclipse, Apache, PHP, Tomcat, Gimp and Filezilla (and get them all working). I've managed to remember most of what I used to know, learned the basics of PHP and learned a LOT more about Gimp (an awesome free graphics program for those who aren't willing to shell out mega bucks for Photoshop). Once this project wraps up I may have to create myself a website. If for no other reason than I really like messing with this stuff.

By the time this post is posted it should be live. Check it out and let me know what you think: Five Star Martial Arts.

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment