Friday, May 20, 2011

Kettlebell Swings Sometimes Make Me Giggle

OK, so you know that I've been working out with kettlebells lately, right? And I really enjoy it. I've also been doing a little bit of browsing at various websites and I found this site here where Lisa Shaffer did a 10,000 swing challenge - doing 10,000 kettlebell swings in a month. After reading that over I was somewhat inspired. But I'm not completely crazy! (Not that she is, but she has significantly more experience with this than I and also significantly more muscle than I.) So, I decided to do something similar on a smaller scale.

Over the first three weeks of my own personal challenge I managed to do about 3300 swings. I did 300-500 at a time, about 3-4 days a week. I skipped almost a week at one point and had to do 600 in a day to catch up! But I did it and I reached my goal. I did 5000 swings in a month!

Throughout the challenge I averaged 1/3 of the swings with the 35lb kettlebell and 2/3 with the 20lb bell. That remained the same throughout the month, but I did increase the size of my sets. I went from doing sets of 10 with the 35 bell up to sets of 25. And for the 20 pound bell I got up to sets of 50 and sometimes more before I stopped to gasp for breath. And I've been doing one-armed swings with the 20 lb bell because frankly, at this point, doing a 2 handed swing with the 20 lb bell makes me giggle. So I must be improving!

Next challenge is to try to do more than 3 one-arm swings with the 35lb bell (without hurting myself of course).

This is fun!


Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment