Monday, May 30, 2011

Swaths of Hot Fuzzy Fleece - My Kettlebell Fashion Statement

  Remember when I mentioned that yoga seminar? Well, there's going to be a kettlebell seminar too. Coming up in a few weeks. I'm very excited. I've been doing kettlebell for several months now. I've definately seen improvements in my strength, muscle definition and endurance since I started. It will be great to see how much of this I'm actually doing correctly and how much I'm not. It will be great to hear from someone who really knows what he's doing.

Actually though, I think I'm doing pretty good. I've spent a fair amount of time researching this stuff and have a pretty good idea of when I'm moving my body in a way that's dangerous to my joints and muscles - and so far so good. No major injuries and very few minor ones other than bruising during the learning phase. And some of that has been countered by knowing when to wear my arm guards.

I have three kettlebells - a 20lb, a 25lb and a 35lb. The 25lb is a different brand than the other two - some generic knock-off of a 'real' brand. I can't do anything with that one without major bruising. The shape, for whatever reason, sits just off and immediately bruises my arm. I don't even get a warning shot. If I do one clean with it without my pads, instant bruise. And it's kinda rough besides. Not so much that it tears up my hands, but it's not nice and smooth like the Cap brand which I highly recommend.

So, I have this nice, fashionable length of soft fleecy cloth that I wrap around my wrists when I use that particular bell. It works great! An inch of soft, fuzzy, fleecy padding works much better than child soccer shin guards (which I tried) and better than knee pads and socks (which I tried). So, despite looking like a complete dork, I continue to wrap myself in thick swaths of hot, fuzzy fleece.

But, back to the seminar. It should be fun. A friend of mine is even coming along to the seminar with me. She's getting into kettlebell too and wants to learn more. It should be a great time. If you want to come along, let me know! The more the merrier!
 
Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment