Sunday, December 20, 2009

Make Some Music


At the state fair this past summer they had a booth set up in one of the agriculture buildings with a man selling hand-crafted mountain dulcimers. The hubby and I stopped over to check it out. They were beautifully crafted instruments and the gentleman was very knowledgeable and friendly. He mentioned that there was a local dulcimer group (who knew?) that would be stopping by for a demonstration later. So later in the day we stopped back for a listen.

And, you know, I really needed another hobby. I mean, I must have about 5 minutes of each day where I'm just twiddling my thumbs. Inexcusable! So, to take up that slack and put my thumbs (and indeed, all my fingers) to work I found an affordable yet decent quality tear-drop shaped mountain dulcimer. I've had it for almost two months now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm cheating - by using the 'tabs' rather than trying to learn the notes and chords, but hey, it's a place to start. I can always learn the 'right' way at some point. For now I'm just enjoying playing a few tunes and learning how to make it sound decent.





If you're looking for an instrument to play, and don't want anything overly complex and like the sound of a string instrument I highly recommend the dulcimer!

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment