Saturday, December 19, 2009

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery . . .


. . . But damn it can be annoying! I'm a busy person. I'm always doing something, be it cleaning the kitchen, or making a meal, drawing or scrapbooking, rearranging stuff or de-arranging stuff (aka, making a mess), wiping a nose or doing laundry, reading a book or helping build a Lego house, baking, running errands or just turning in circles trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. Since I'm almost always in the middle of something when I hear "Mommy, can you get me a drink?" or "Mommy, can you help me fix this computer game?", or "Mooommmmmmmmmy, he called me a zebra butt!", my response is, "Hold
on just a minute, let me finish this up."




So of course now whenever I ask the kids for something, "Get your pajamas on now please" or "Can you get me a pen?" or "Supper is ready!" it's almost guaranteed that I will hear a chorus of "Hold on!", "Just a minute!", "I'm almost done!"

What happened to "Yes Mommy." followed by immediate action?

But can I blame them? After all, they learned it from me. And sometimes it's OK. I don't mind if they finish up a game or watch the last 3 minutes of a TV show. It really becomes annoying when the game drags on for another 25 minutes, or the TV show has an hour and a half left, or they forget altogether that they need to do something.

But this unconscious imitation manifests itself in other ways too. Just the other day I asked Doodlebug what he wanted for breakfast. "Toast," he replied, paused and continued, "Of the cinnamon variety."

Oh my goodness! That is me all over! I say that and things very much like that all the time. It's funny, cute, and somewhat disconcerting to hear my weirdnesses (of course that's a word!) coming from someone else's mouth. I'm just waiting for them to start saying "Goodness!" or "Good Gravy!" or "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" or singing "When I was a young warthog!" or any other variety of strange things I'm known to sing when it's just me and the family to hear.

I'd be so flattered if they did! ;-)

Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment